Leadership River Falls Youth
What is Leadership River Falls Youth?
Mission: Leadership River Falls Youth is dedicated to providing a comprehensive learning experience that fosters personal growth and cultivates community leadership. Participants will develop skills, knowledge, and a deepened understanding of self and the contexts in which one lives and grows, through an exploration of community issues, personal values, and avenues of involvement.
Vision: To develop leadership qualities and opportunities for community engagement for 8th grade students within the city of River Falls via a collaborative and engaging non-traditional learning environment.
How will 8th grade students benefit from Leadership River Falls Youth?
- Leadership skills (an opportunity to lead with character – The Wildcat Way)
- Awareness of, and respect for, community needs
- Recognition and understanding of personal values and strengths
- Knowledge and understanding of civic and social issues
- Personal growth and consideration of future career pathway opportunities
- Communication and interpersonal skills (building relationships)
- Decision-making, team-building, and group facilitation skills
Goals and Objectives:
The goals of Leadership River Falls Youth:
- To acquaint young people with significant community processes, programs and problems;
- To teach young people about community involvement opportunities, special challenges, and demands;
- To improve understanding of various economic, social and political forces impacting the community;
- To support collaborative communities that maximize youth leadership and empowerment;
- To nurture a sense of stewardship and community responsibility;
- To develop communication and interpersonal skills;
- To model analytical and critical reflection;
- To develop skills that facilitate leadership, such as: active listening, public speaking; debate and compromise; decision-making; collaboration and group facilitation; self-assessment and reflection;
- To develop a sense of belonging in the school and community;
- To develop a network of future community talent for engagement and service on public and private commissions, agencies, organizations and associations;
- To instill sincere concern for, and commitment to help shape, a community sense of well-being.
Leadership River Falls Youth 2016-2017 Program Calendar
|Date||Leadership Line-up||Wildcat Character||Status|
|Wednesday, August 24||Retreat-program kick-off||Courage||No School|
|Friday, September 9||Natural Resources||Respect||Absent|
|Monday, October 10||Community & Heritage||Compassion||In-service Day|
|Friday, November 11||Education||Perseverance||In-service Day|
|Monday, January 16||Business & Industry||Responsibility & Positive Attitude||In-service Day|
|Monday, February 20||Health & Human Services||Cooperation||In-service Day|
|Friday, March 24||Government||Citizenship||Absent|
|Friday, May 12||Graduation Celebration||Honesty||Absent|
Business Sponsorship Information
For more information about Leadership River Falls, please “Like” and follow us on Facebook.